This major allows students to develop their language skills in Chinese or Japanese while simultaneously gaining significant knowledge about the Asian context. Students share a strong interdisciplinary curriculum and choose to concentrate their language study in Chinese or Japanese. The non-language curriculum will be taught in English and includes film, literature, history, politics and religion. The major requires one semester of study abroad in China/Taiwan or Japan. The minimum number of units for the major is 34.
Minimum 32 units that includes:
CHIN 023 Intermediate Chinese, Third Semester
CHIN 025 Intermediate Chinese, Fourth Semester
CHIN 125 Advanced Chinese I
CHIN 126 Advanced Chinese II
SABD 000 Overseas Study (Study Abroad in China or Taiwan)
Select four of the following:
- ARTH 120 Chinese Art History
- ASIA 120 Asian Cinemas
- ASIA 124 Society, Gender and Culture in East Asia
- ASIA 130 East Asian Literature
- HIST 030 East Asian Civilization I
- HIST 031 East Asian Civilization II
- HIST 141 Pre-Modern China to 1840
- HIST 142 Modern Chinese History
- RELI 135 Asian Religious Traditions
- RELI 152 Confucian Traditions
- RELI 154 Buddhist Traditions
- POLS 152 Politics of Asia
- Language requirement begins with the intermediate level; at least one semester (or a summer with a minimum of 8 weeks) of language requirement must be completed in China or Taiwan.
- No more than two equivalent courses (as determined by the advisor) may be completed while studying in China/Taiwan.